Friday, November 12, 2004

Waterloo Bridge

This is a 1940 movie w/ Vivien Leigh (Scarlett O'Hara) about an English ballerina and a handsome soldier who fall in love and get engaged right before he has to fight in the last year of WWII. She finds out her ballerina friend got her medicine when she was sick through prostitution, hanging around soldiers just coming back or heading out. Viven gets word her fiance's dead and since there's nothing to stay true to anymore,and she feels abd that her friend is bringing in all the money, she sells herself too. Fiance turns up not dead, in fact he sees her in a flashy dress at the train station, thinks she miraculously decided to show up there, waiting for him. He whisks her off to his Scottish manor, introduces her to the folks, etc., all the while she keeps wincing whenever he says anything tender. Finally she runs away, leaving a Dear John. Meanwhile his mother knows what happened, cuz Vivien broke down & told her, but made her promise not to tell. Which brings me to the point of this blog. This guy, who's painted to be Prince Charming, has this to say when ballerina friend helps him look for her, but fails to find her in her usual places, and explains to him that Vivien's been selling herself for food and shelter: "She is lost from me. I will never find her, but I will never stop looking."
Then, unbeknownst to him, Vivien throws herself in front of a truck. The end.
My dormant feminist rage has awakened! " She is lost and I will never find her" !!!?Is that supposed to be Mr. I'll always be there and forgive you and love you? I ususally find 1940s/1930s movies more inspiring and truthful, but this one ticked me off big time.
Recommendation: How Green Was My Valley. Makes me proud to be Welsh.
PS Why are my blogs always movie reviews?

No comments: