Saturday, November 27, 2004

So many cute little adventures in New York! I got lost in what I thought was just a very very black neighborhood on the upper west side, filled with black people fighting and selling cds on blankets. Everyone was angry. Even the t-shirts they were selling were angry: one was an angry t-shirt that yelled: JESUS WAS A BLACK MAN and it listed arguments in support of this. The streets were all black-themed, too: African Avenue, Martin Luther King Blvd, etc. After I told Liripipe about this all-black and angry neighborhood in the upper west side, she smiled, patted me on the head and said, "You were in Harlem, dearie." Ha! How fun.

Another adventure that tickled my heart was outside of Port Authority on 42nd, late at night, where, in my humble experience, I believe there to be the highest concentration of weirdos in the city, there was a crazy black guy (ok, yes, black again. I'm not racist; I'm just painting the picture for you) yelling all sorts of obscenities and telling someone, or maybe no one in particular, to perform something vulgar on his person, and then, like the Red Sea, the crowds parted and up strutted a brigade of New York's finest. Strong, tall, authoritative & fearless. There were about 7 of them and they marched up to where the little nasty man was. His eyes bugged out, he dropped his umbrella (which was about 4 ft long) and ran like hell. The tallest policeman stooped over, picked up the umbrella, and WHACK, snapped it over his knee! I don't grudge them little liberties like that.

Sak's. It doesn't say Sak's Fifth Avenue; it just says Sak's & Co. It's on 5th Ave., so that would be superfluous. I marvel at how cute that is. I went shopping there, bright & early the day after Thanksgiving. 9 floors, not counting the 10th floor, which no one can get into unless they have an appt., and probably a Fortune 500 husband. It's the salon and the escalator to the 10th floor was roped off to keep out the riff raff like me. I wanted to buy my mother something cashmere from Sak's. I asked a man in a suit, who didn't like the fact that I had a backpack on in his store, where I could find socks. I figure cashmere socks is more in my price range than anything else. He looked momentarily disgusted that I came to Sak's on the busiest shopping day of the year with my bookbag and unbrushed hair to bother him about socks. I debated telling him that it's ok, because I'm only interested in cashmere socks; I'm not a yokel. When I found the cashmere socks I found that they were $60. You don't believe me, I know! You think I'm trying to spice up a drab scok story by exaggerating the price! Well I'm not! Sixty, I tell you! I found a cashmere sweater for the same price, so I bought that instead. Then I went outside and bought a, ahem, cashmere scarf for ten dollars. I went cashmere crazy. I couldn't stop. It had a sticker on it that said it's made in england and that it's 100% real and the lady selling it to me had very bloodshot eyes and she had a lot of trouble figuring out the change for a 20 dollar bill. But enough of this.
I will leave you with a disturbing lil tidbit: More Americans went shopping last Friday than voted this year.
Discuss.

2 comments:

Iamjack42 said...

Racist

Kitty said...

I was in Harlem back in 1974, before you were born. I wouldn't go there again unless my large, strong, knowledgeable New Yorker son was by my side. Even then, it might be questionable.
But it sounds like you had a wonderful time! And I'm looking forward to visiting there sometime in the coming new year.
Cashmere is so soft and feels so good, your Mom will love it.
I did go shopping on Friday, but not at 5:30 a.m. like my girls wanted, but in the evening. Even then there were people rushing around like the next day was Christmas. And it is a little disturbing that shopping is more important to some people than who becomes the next President. Oh well, what can you do?
God Bless, Kitty